The state of California has fined a Fresno hospital for a 2010 operation where a towel was left inside a patient. It was not until four months after the surgery, when the patient returned to the hospital with a blocked bowel, that doctors discovered their mistake. If this incident seems frightening, it is because it is. A terrifying surgical error like this can happen anywhere and often enough to cause San Mateo residents concern.
Research shows that incidents of instruments left inside a patient occur more frequently in certain situations. Among the operations at increased risk of instrument retention are emergency situations and surgeries on obese individuals. Yet, regardless of the type of surgery being conducted, doctors should double check to ensure nothing is being left inside the patient. Such an easy back up procedure ensures that patients do not have to deal with the difficulties caused by foreign objects.
Read more about the fine Here.